Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Wedneday Feb 22 - Holiness teaching begins

We are located in the southern tip of India.  The weather is tropical.  Litter is every where.  People just dump their trash in piles and it is set on fire.  Stray dogs fight off the lame and crippled for the remnants found in the piles of rubbish.  These are not extras from Central Casting for some movie scene.  These are real people.  Real life. Right in front of my eyes.

We are seeing and experiencing the real India.  We are not tourists.  This journey we have made is one of pilgrimage.  We are joining our brothers and sisters in Christ to go deeper into the life of love and joy.  We come as strangers, teaching in a strange land, to a group of strangers.  But once we connect by God's spirit, we are no longer strangers.  We are at home in fellowship of the Holy Spirit.

God is His word tells us that Holiness is needed in our lives.  I have been studying this from all sorts of aspects over the years.  I know all of the debates, the problems with the systematic theology, the differences amongst us, but that all goes out the window this day.   We need purity.  We need power.  We need this so our lives of character will shine forth.

I had been reviewing my notes for the two sets of topics I am teaching on today.  The Holy Spirit and Holiness, and basics of holiness theology.  The one word that keeps coming to mind is not perfection or flawless.  The word is love.

Perfect love.  Love that God can give us to share with others.

We are located in the area where Ghandi was laid to rest.  These people for generations have been exposed to this concept of holiness.  People are holy to them.  Animals and artifacts are holy. But do they know that they can too be holy?  And that sense of holiness that they can experience is needed for them to change their worlds   The holiness God wants to perfect (mature) in them and me is a deep abiding basic way of love.

I am excited about this day. Perhaps that is why I couldn't sleep.  I am eager to get going.  We would have been in the hotel for 24 hours by the time we leave.  My body is at rest.  My soul is at ease.  My spirit is longing for this experience.  Humbled.  And very very honored.

Reflections after the first day....

We were greeted again by Major J and whisked away to the compound that is about 5 minutes from the hotel.  I would have no clue how to get their so its good to be in a car. 

We arrived at the Home League Centre, a place that is a very nice conference center by their standards.  Our territory has funded the construction of this place over the years.  India South East and the Western USA territory shared a very good partnership over the years.

I was impressed with how clean the place was.  Upon our arrival we were ushered into a private room with the TC.  I could hear some very loud and devoted singing occurring in the room next door.  After meeting the TC's wife we went into the meeting and were introduced. Warmly greeted and wrapped in some sort of shawl and flowers given, I felt like a king for if only a brief moment.

Before me were about 45 students.  Officers, soldiers.  In their uniforms clean and pressed.  Smiles on their faces.  Note book and bible in hand.  Ready to learn.

Major Bradley brought the message of how holiness in our lives drives us to make changes around us.  We had a time of worship then private tea with the TC and his wife.

I taught the first lesson on Holiness and the Holy Spirit.  Major Danny is my translator.  He is a very powerful speaker I noticed, he would follow my voice influctions.

The day was filled with good teaching.  The TC at the end of the day asked for feedback that might help us.  One officer appreciated what we had to say but asked if we could slow down so they could take better notes!  Another young gal mentioned how she had been taught she needed to be holy and separate herself from unholy things but how she is starting to understand holiness is not just about her, its about changing her world.

A light bulb went on.

Without holiness no one will see the Lord.  Its not about us not getting a glimpse of the divine, its about others who need to see God.  They only way they will see is through our love.  Our holiness.

We were exhausted at the end of the day.  We spent sometime with their IT guy who set up our computers with a wireless connection we can use at the hotel...thus this entry.  And he fixed my computer that had a virus in it!  Double bonus!  I didn't even have to put in a help desk ticket in on it!!

We had a light supper and then rest for the next day.  I am pretty sure the schedule stays the same.  We will go to two different Corps on Sunday to preach. That will be interesting.

Thats it for now...thank you to all of you who are taking time to pray for Steve and myself.  Its truly appreciated.  We are missing home, our families and our ministries, but making the most of this brief ministry opportunity here.




No comments: