Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Major T's blog - Trip to India...first days

Leading up to the departure was for the most part uneventful.  I have learned over my brief life time of international travel that one thing I need to give myself up front end is more time.

The advantage that I had going into this trip from the start is that I already have six pretty solid biblical teaching on the Holy Spirit.  I had the privilege last June to teach at the National Brengle Institute and have a bit of experience with the material under my belt. I have spent some additional time working on some aspects of holiness from a doctrinal point of view, writing a few devotionals and a new sermon to give if needed.

I have found always preparing for a trip is worse than the trip itself.  The nice thing on the home front is that being at the college, I have excellent staff who know how to work and know how to get things done.  If there are problems, those problems will be handled by them and not by me.

On Saturday I took Cindy to the airport to start her journey on her Arrow Leadership education.  The exchange for that is that she doesn't get to come with me on this trip.I wold have loved to journey here with her but maybe one day again.

I spent most of Saturday packing and going over my list to make sure I wouldn't forget anything.  I have a tendency to always leave something.  What's worse is at the airport I tend to lose my boarding pass or belt!

Our journey started on Saturday morning at LAX.  Major Steve Bradley and I are doing this together.  We left at 12:30 pm local time and arrived in Washington DC at 8:30 pm local time after an uneventful trip. We found someplace to eat (Wendy's - we both assume we won't be having an American hamburger for a while.)
Our plane to Dubai boarded two hours later and we were off.

That trip was 13 hours.  It did get a bit long but I was able to sleep a good part of it off, with occasional interruptions from a screaming baby two rows behind me.  I drank lots of water, walked a few times and before you know it were in Dubai.

When we landed in Dubai we were rushed.  First, we must have walked a mile if not two to find where we were to get our boarding passes.  We were both pretty tired but wanted to take a shower and were prepared to do so.  That took a bit as we had to wait and work within confined places.  The power on my razor had drained in flight but at least I got most of my body looking good.  My black socks are in my main bag.  So a TP arriving in brown socks with his uniform on should be ok, right? Steve reminded me that we were boarding as I was finishing up, so we walked another mile to the gate.

My bag wouldn't fit in the over head compartment and that was a bit of a stir.  As the doors closed I had forgotten my promise to Laura to get post cards from Dubai.  It had completely slipped my mind.  So I felt bad already and hope she won't be too disappointed.  I will make up for it in Mumbai on the way back.  This stop was just too quick and jet lag already hit my weary head so my tendency to forget is amplified.

I am writting at 35000 feet some where over the Arabian Sea.   Its 11:10 pm on Monday turning into Tuesday soon. Its 13 1/2 half hour time difference from home.  Its very odd to be half way around the world from my family and my ministry.  But I am never one to turn down an adventure, especially to bring encouragement to fellow believers.  I love to teach and feel gifted to do so and that I do it well.  These are moments that I will never have again. I am determined to make of them.  This time next week I will be making an entry from Mumbai after we have started the trek back home.

This will go fast.  I will be blessed.  And I hope to be a blessings.



No comments: