Monday, August 12, 2013

A new good addiction - try it

I have a new addiction:  I keep adding bible reading plans from the digital version of the scriptures found in "You Vision".   I started a comprehensive reading plan when I was on a silent retreat in May.  I loved the title of the plan:  Eat this book.   Its actually a command given by God to the prophet Ezekiel. (plus its a great title of a wonderful book written by Eugene Peterson)

So for my quiet time each morning I am reading through the Bible with a psalm.  I am using the New Living Translation (for the version smug ones out there - you ought to try it - it makes the word pop to life in a devotional reading.)  I read a short devotional from the Life Application bible.  I read a chapter of Proverbs a day.  And then I close off my reading time with a devotion from Billy Graham's classic - Day by Day.

I like what Dr. Graham has to say to me today:  "Some time ago a policeman asked me what the secret of victorious living was. I told him that there is no magic formula that can be pronounced. If any word could describe it, I would say surrender. The second word I would say would be devotion. Nothing can take the place of a daily devotional life with Christ. Your quiet time, your prayer time, the time you spend in the Word, is absolutely essential for a happy Christian life. You cannot possibly be a happy, dynamic, and powerful Christian apart from a daily walk with Christ."

Its amazing how much Bible ignorance and apathy there is in the church today.  We have not problem standing for several minutes (sometimes over 30) to sing worship songs, but to stand in reverance for the reading of God's word (see Ezra) that isn't automatic.   Even Christians who have been walking with The Lord for a very long time can easily lose focus and get discouraged (I am talking about myself here).

Without God's word part of my daily spiritual diet I am destined to inherit a dry, dead soul.  My prayer life becomes listless.  And certainly there is no joy to be found.

Join me in a re-committment of reading God's word each day.  Don't approach your devotional time as some sort of 'spiritual rabbits foot' (as if doing it or not doing it determines how your day will be, the 'things' you can get from God, etc.) but rather as a time where God can get a hold of your soul and quietly speak to you.

Its a new addiction that I can assure you will change your life for the good.

No comments: