Wednesday, February 22, 2012

8:30 am Tuesday Feb 21

I went on a car ride of my life today.  I am not quite sure how to describe it.  All I know is that I didn't sleep through it!

We landed at 3:45 am local time in Triaandurm (sp) under very dark skies.  The plane was interesting. There was a camera we  had access to that would allow us to view what it is like to see from the cockpit.

They also did something that I have never seen.  Prior to take off the flight attendants came down the asile walking at a very rapid pace holding what seemed to be cans of insecticide in their hand, spraying it over their heads.

Upon arrival we waited in a very long line to gain entry into India.  We stood out in our uniforms and pink skin!  It was interesting to observe this one woman who seemed to master the art of cutting into the line.  She slowly wormed her way up and then cut right in front of me when it was my turn.  She waved to her husband and they proceed to take my spot.  It was funny and I wasn't going to fight it at that point.

We were joined up once again with our luggage and stepped out of the safe doors of the terminal into a foreign world.  Even at 4:30 in the morning there was a  very large crowd waiting for loved ones.  We waited maybe 18 seconds before we were mobbed by Major J and his driver, who handed us some plastic flowers, greeted us and swept us away to the waiting car.  The driver had been hired to pick us up and take us on an 80 kilometer wild ride to Nagercoil.

First impressions in the dark:  smokey.  I couldn't believe how strong the smell of smoke was hanging in the air.  Honking horns.  Our driver beeped his horn every 13 seconds on average during the entire trip.  Narrow, winding and a very bumpy road.  Driving down the wrong side of the street, fast and whipping along as if it was a wide open freeway.

I decided to roll the window down and just take it all in..  There were some putrid smells, sounds of music blaring and all along the road it seemed like there were people going everywhere at 5 am.  Colonel Hudson told me when he made this trek he slept during this time, but I am not sure how he did that.

We were able to observe the sun coming up over a banana plantation.  It was odd to think that here it was rising and at home it was setting.  We arrived at the hotel around 7 am.  Its a basic hotel, luxury for the standards in this area but not based on US standards in the least.  But the room was pretty clean and the A/C was on.  The heat isn't overly oppressive at the moment but one can see how it would be.  We were told to rest and that we would have a meeting at 6 pm with the TC in the hotel lobby.

Major R has been very good to us. He went to buy some fresh fruit and bug zappers.  A device that plugs into the wall that kills misquotes.

We have learned very quickly that the power goes off without warning.  I brought a very small flashlight with me that I keep pretty close by.  I lost count of how many times we have lost power.

We were told over and over again how excited the people were happy about this holiness institute.  The last one occured in 1994.  Later that evening the TC shared his burden how he felt the younger generation is abandoning the walk of holiness and that our teaching was coming at a vital time in the history of their territory.  The delegates would be a mix of younger officers and young adult workers in a variety of Corps in very difficult places.  Some would travel eight hours to get here.  They are hungering for this.

It truly is a privilege to be here to be a part of this thing God is doing here, in a land I do not know, in a culture I cannot comprehend and to a language(s) I cannot speak.

More to come.



No comments: