Sunday, June 16, 2013

Commissioning Day!

This day, the session of Cadets known as the "Proclaimers of the Resurrection" will be commissioned and sent to their new appointments throughout the great Western Territory.

Each commissioned officer stops at a time of year and reflects back to his or her commission.  Its a very high and holy calling that no one person can achieve in their own strength.  Its a life of service and sacrifice, one doesn't enter into lightly.

For me, this weekend marks the completion of 31 years of active, unbroken service.  Indeed I have been blessed beyond measure.

We have recently here in the west have had the privilege of commissioning larger numbers of Cadets.  Some cynics have asked me if these people are doing this because they can't get work else where.  I am quick to remind those who inquire that if someone approaches this work with a 'hireling' mentality, they will not last.  It will become evident soon enough that indeed God didn't call them.

God is moving in our midst and He still has great plans to use this Salvation Army that he raised up 148 years ago.  These new officers today step across the stage and into their new appointments, equipped to meet the changing challenges in the strength of God's Spirit.

These are God's called people to do His holy work.  Its been an honor to be with them for these past two years as their Training Principal, teacher, counselor and friend.  I welcome my new colleagues to the ranks this day and say congratulations to each of them.

God bless our new officers.  God bless The Salvation Army world wide on this day.


2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Thank you Major! I remember the first time I met you - it was at FOF 2011...just a few months before moving to CFOT. You took us to the cross and talked for a bit about our Savior and our calling. Then you prayed with us. It was a moment that I will long remember, and each time I went to that cross I was reminded of my Savior and my calling. This helped on those difficult days of training, when I felt like giving up.
And again, during those first weeks of orientation - you told us, "Never leave on a bad day". Those were great words of wisdom, as those bad days cloud our vision and our hearing - making it difficult to see our Savior and remember our calling. Thank you for all you do there at CFOT! You are a blessing!