Saturday, February 25, 2012

A Holy Saturday in Nagercoil

I am not sure what you did with your Saturday, but God sent me half way around the world to preach a message of holiness to people whom in my line of thinking are both pretty special and pretty holy already.

Today was the last time we had to share with the Brengle delegates. Major Steve Bradley poured his heart out in two sessions dealing with holiness doctrine and holiness in every day life.  I had the opportunity to bring the closing bible message.  My message was "On the pathway to holiness."   Six simple thoughts:  Conversion. Conviction. Confession.  Consecration.  Claiming. Continuing.   And then the added seventh - Covenant.

We closed the time with a very special covenant service - we are a covenant people us Salvationists -  as Commissioner M. C. James made the plea for commitment, all 40 delegates came flooding towards the altar, all kneeling.  The women quietly on one side, the men on the other.  It was truly a beautiful sight as these individuals were devoting themselves once again to God.

We were given a few gifts - a gold peacock desk decoration from the women and an wooden carved elephant from the men.  We had an opportunity to express our thanks for all the wonderful hospitality.  We gave the TC and our translators gifts and then we had enough little things for each of the delegates.  Broaches, tie clips and baseball caps.   Each of them came smiling and shaking our hands and giving us their thanks and smiles and tears:  Nande.  Thank you.   Several of the men wanted to take their pictures with us both.  We must of have done that about 20 times.

We had a final tea time with the TC and his lovely wife who dutifully served us our meals the whole time.  Both Steve and I were truly spent.  All the energy had flown out of us.

After our tea we went on a brief tour of the Fredrick Booth Tucker hall.  The largest Corps in India with 1200 people attending each Sunday.  We met the Corps officer and several other officers from the area.  An interesting thing they do in each Corps here is put up the giving record from each family in the Corps in an outside display case to see.  The motivation that creates is amazing. Most of these Corps have no money other than what their people can give.

On our way back we were asked if we wanted to visit the training college.  Its about 300 feet from the hotel but you would never know it.  I cannot describe it.  I wanted to cry.

We visited the compound and were quickly greeted by staff officers and the principal.  I took several pictures that I will post when I can get coverage to upload them.

I just want to warn my Cadets.  I am serious about this.  I really never, ever, want to hear you complain about a single thing about living at Crestmont. Ever.  You have nothing to gripe about. Nothing.  Is that clear?

I met a very happy couple who were cleaning their one room apartment.  There are 10 couples there.  They take no singles.  Married couples only.  There are no children there.  They leave their children at home for two years with family. Its just the way its done in their culture.

We visited the humble dinning room and I peeked into the kitchen.  A very old indian man was cooking over an open campfire.  It is not Culin Art.  It was an incredibly humbling moment.  Smiling for my camera it was all I could do to hide my tears.

I instantly thought of all the wasted food that must come out of our dining room every day. The choices we have. 

They continued to show us around at the building that are running down.  The one room apartments for the Cadets have holes in the roof so they have major leakage issues.  The Cadets go out every Sunday from 8 am to 9:30 pm for ministry at surrounding Corps.  They go to class Monday to Friday from 9 to 4 and do chores and what not.  Its not accredited.  Its not the beauty show case we have at Crestmont.  But God was there in all that squalor. 

I asked the Training Principal if I could pray with him.  I sensed he was greatly burdened.  So we lifted his load to God in prayer.

Steve and I got back into the car to head to our hotel shaking our heads about what we had just witnessed.

I am of the belief that an officer should experience time in another culture than what they are accustomed to sometime in their officership.  Cindy and I spent four years in Maui, far from home, in a different world and were forever changed by that.  Going to a third world country even for a week does something to ones soul that is too difficult to describe.  I know I am not cut out for life here, but you can bet that I will do all I can to help raise awareness and give what I can.

But know this.  My heart has been touched.  I will not forget this people.  I will be even more passionate about our world services effort.  I will continue to pray that I can become more holy and humble like these blessed people I rubbed shoulders with.

Our last day of ministry is tomorrow as we both will be preaching at different Corps.  The TC is picking me up at 9 am and going some place not far away.  We will then return to the retreat centre for our final tea with Commissioner James. He wants to take us to some of the local tourist places after lunch. We leave here at 8:30 Monday for our very long trek back.

I do thank those of you who have been praying.  Keep doing so.  We will be having a special chapel or program sometime in March to try to explain all that we both experienced.

I will make another journal entry after our time tomorrow.  Thanks for joining me on this journey.

No comments: