Tuesday, June 24, 2014

The Sabbath & the Salvationist - research methodology plan

The following is the plan that I have submitted to Gordon Conwell Theological Seminary regarding the plan for my research methodology.  As you can see its pretty simple and straightforward.  I will await feedback, corrections and eventual approval before I will be embarking on the formal survey.

Please note my survey will not be internationally focused.  I will be primarily focusing on how sabbath plays out in the lives of officers in the Western Territory per say.  I will however be posting the link to the survey monkey on the Facebook group page:  The Sabbath & the Salvationist.  I will entertain comments and responses from those outside the Western Territory and will treat it in a separate index.

I am hoping to launch the survey August 1 and will run it for 30 days.

Its fair to say as I progress on this project that I am receiving lots of comments, questions and suggestions from both officer, solider, employee and just friends who are curious.  A nerve has been indeed touched.  I appreciate your prayers for me as I attempt to balance a full time ministry position as Training Principal, a busy travel and speaking schedule and attempting to finding my own sabbath and furlough time.   I welcome any and all comments on this subject matter.

I am not here to debate any legalist approach to this subject.  I am simply out to define the problem and help to implement a plan that may assist others to keep sabbath rest a priority.  If this all will be come a habit in my life then I feel I will have completed what I feel that God has set out for me to explore here.


Research Methodology Models
by
Tim Foley 
  June 24, 2014
Spiritual Formation for Ministry Leaders 
Mentor: Dr. Stephen Macchia
Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary




 Format

My thesis project will attempt to explore an existing problem within my denomination regarding the Sabbath.  While “doing the most good” is a terrific mantra to capture the essence of 21st century ministry within The Salvation Army, there are many officers in its ranks, in particular in the western region of the United States, that seem to not take time for regular sabbath keeping.  I hope to discover through my research what are some of the current trends, traits, statistics, causes and possible cures through my efforts.

The particular areas in my research methodology that I want to use would be related to the collection, deciphering, tabulating and analyzing both qualitative and quantitative data would be that of a personal survey.  The means and manner in which this will be conducted is through a survey monkey online format. I plan to purchase a premium version of surveymonkey.com to use in my research.

 As presented in the material in module 2, I will be using basic descriptive statistical methods to analyze the questionnaire type information that is collected through these personal surveys.  I will use various illustrations such pie chart or linear bar graphs to highlight some of the findings.  I will also be drawing out information from the various sub groups that are identified in my research as will be explained further in this paper.  The survey it self will have some simple yes or no type questions.  There will be questions that will allow for written responses and the sharing of opinions and ideas from the person surveyed. 

I have toyed with the idea of doing individual case studies and have considered that for the sake of brevity I would solicit one volunteer from each of the sub groups for further interviews.  This may prove challenging due to time and distance constraints.  I will make sure proper waivers and permissions are secured from these individuals before I publish the results. 

I also have developed a Facebook group page dedicated to this project where I will post a link to the survey.  This will allow me to collect data from various other parts of the world in which the Salvation Army officers work and are interested in sharing their opinions.  I will treat the data collected from here as appendixes information.  I have had a lot of inquiries from all over the world in regards to this subject so I thought this might be the best way to allow people to share and keep the entire survey under control.

Processes

In my dissertation I will explore the problem that faces the individual officer in regards to Sabbath knowledge and the lack of application to one's personal life. I plan to explore the challenge of a Christian institution that respects the corporation ideals of Sabbath but the individuals have a difficult time making it a living reality in their lives.   I plan to conduct research in the form of personal surveys and case studies that will need to be developed. Here is a brief outline of my plan:

  1. The plan will focus on selecting and conducting a survey of both active and retired officers assigned specifically to the Western Territory region in regards to personal Sabbath keeping.  (This is the geographic area that I am currently assigned to.)   
  2. Data will be collected from field officers in Corps ministry (church), administrative headquarters (denominational district leadership and resource positions), ARC and Social Services officers (drug and alcohol rehabilitation centers and officers assigned to social service ministries) and education officers (CFOT – College for Officer Training). 
  3. The scope of the plan is to limit the number of this group to get an over all sampling to over 650 active officers assigned to the Western Territory of The Salvation Army, USA. 
  4. The data to be collected represents a wide range of ages, cultural backgrounds, years of ministry experience and educational backgrounds. 
  5. Data will be collected primarily using the digital tools of survey monkey and responses from the Facebook group page: The Sabbath and the Salvationist.  
  6. The data will be analyzed using basic quantitative and qualitative means of explanation.  Pie charts, bar graphs and narrative descriptions will be used in the finding of the statistical information.

There will be no doubt some additional thoughts that will come to my research methodology as I consider more opportunities in the development of this plan.  I reserve the right here to allow for additional or considerations for modifications here but certainly this will be keep in reason due to time constraints.  I do not plan to bite off more than I can chew.

Sample Questions

The following is a listing of the questions I will be using.  I plan to keep this line of questioning very succinic and short, attempting not to ask more than 12 to 15 questions.

Please note: I have not at the time of this writing formatted all the types of questions that I would use in the survey.  I would like to consider formatting some yes & no format questions; multiple choice and allowing open-ended short answer type responses. The following is a simple example of the types of things I might ask:

  1. How would you define Sabbath?
  2. Do you practice Sabbath in your life?
  3. If so how is it practiced in your life?
  4. What are some of the challenges or hindrances that prevent you from taking a regular Sabbath?
  5. What have been some of the benefits in your life of taking a regular Sabbath?
  6. Do you use all your furlough (vacation) time each year?  If not, why not?
  7. In your ministry setting what are some of the challenges that you face that may prevent you from taking a regular Sabbath?
  8. What do you think what is the value of Sabbath keeping?
  9. In what ways has Sabbath keeping played into your longevity in ministry? (This would be asked for officers service 15 years up plus retired officers.)
  10. What are some of the ways you have practiced Sabbath over the years?
  11. What does the practice of regular Sabbath look like for you?
  12. If you do not practice Sabbath on a regular basis do you feel you are violating a commandment of God?  If so, why?  If no, why not?

Note: again this is by no means a complete or final list of questions but will act as a basic guideline as I work on fine-tuning this before the questions are sent out in the survey.

Summation

As far as I have been able at this point to discover no one in the history of my denomination has every fully researched and written on the topic of sabbath keeping.  I feel that the work I am engaged in will be truly beneficial to many officers.  After I have been able to identify the problem my plan is to give some very practical and succinct answers going forward as to how Sabbath keeping can become a regular part of one’s life.  My attempt here is to create a dialogue within the confines of my denomination primarily in the Western Territory.  But already this is proving to be a nerve that I have touched in which this work will have some broader ramifications throughout the world wide of the officer force of The Salvation Army.






No comments: