Saturday, August 3, 2013

Realize Life While Living It

"Teach us to realize the brevity of life, so that we may grow in wisdom."  Psalm 90:12  NLT

A few months ago my youngest daughter Victoria said she on summer vacation she wanted to go and see the grave of her Grandma and Grandpa Hill.  Evelyn and Joe are buried in a quiet city cemetery in Pendleton Oregon. The last time I visited Pendleton was when we laid Evelyn to rest in that very sacred spot.

We spent some time standing over their graves, clearing away any grass that was creeping over the headstone.  It was a hot July afternoon as I felt the sun baking the top of my head while I was standing there.  As I stared at the headstone a mryiad of memories came flooding back.

We lost Joe in 1992 due to heart complications.  Evelyn left us in late winter of 2006.  I close my eyes and it was like yesterday when I would be rambling to either one of them about an issue or problem that I was facing in my officership.  Joe's simple sage advice would settle me down and my mother in law laugh would shatter my sadness.

 We often would spend our vacations on the Hill family farm, a little seven acre 'hobby farm' on the west side of town.   There I would pretend I was a farmer and eagerly would move irrigation pipe or burn trash or whatever.   I had many long conversations with my wise father in law.

Alot has occured in my life since 1992.  Two more children were added.  I served in another Corps appointment.  Was on DHQ staff.  Started the Kroc Center ministry.  Went on to complete an MA in Theology and begin a Doctorate in ministry.  Moved from Assistant Principal to Principal of CFOT.  Traveled to numerous countries meeting numerous people and sharing in a variety of numerous experiences. (way too many numerous things!)  Evelyn saw most of this occur but Joe again left us too early.  He didn't even get to meet his other two grandchildren from the Foley side.

I am so often reminded of the question Emily asks of the Stage Manager from the play Our Town.  In essence she asks if people really realize life while they are living it.  The Stage Manager replies no, maybe the prophets or poets do.

Standing over a grave reminds me that an end of my days will evenutally come.  I ask myself am I living my life to its fullest?  I am available to just listen to people who need it?  To laugh with them or cry?  What sorts of memories am I leaving for my children, friends and aquaintances?

Perhaps a visit to a grave yard now and then would be good for your soul.  Realize life while you are living it.  It is indeed brief.

No comments: