Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Here we gooooo!

Today marks the start of my eighth year at the College for Officer Training in the Western Territory.  I have been reflecting about this over the past few weeks for several years.

I haven't done the math all the way but this means a few things for me:

I have been involved in the training of nine sessions of Cadets
There have been over 300 people that have come on campus to be trained since that time.  Not all of them made it to the starting line but a good majority have.  Thats almost half of the active officer statistics today in our territory.
I have been through two accreditation renewal processes.
I have worked with two other training principals as their assistant.  Both went on to become Divisional Commanders
I am the only staff officer left from the time I started in 2006.
This is the longest I have ever lived in one place in my entire life. (we did move a house over - the view was just too tempting!)
Two of my children have graduated from PV High Schools, one starts her junior year next week (she was in the 4th grade when we moved here from San Diego) One graduated college, got married and moved to New York.  The other did TV & commercials and is working consistently in a trade.
Many changes have been made to the facilities - new apartments, refurbished offices, classrooms added, library redone, new paint, add ons to quarters, new carpet, 'smart boards',.
Staff has increased while the budget has pretty much  remained even.
Crestmont Council is stronger than ever with some terrific men and women working side by side with us here, guiding this ship.
New curriculum has been added with an emphasis in recovery ministry, EDS (emergency disaster service)
Cadets (students) have been sent to places for training we have not ventured into in decades.
The  Cadet population has gone from 30 to over 100 living on campus in those 8 years.
Countless people have come to know God through the ministry of the Cadets

I am sure if I give this more thought the items on this list would grow.

What I have noticed in my time here is that there are people who embrace this experience and those who resist it.  That is all part of the process.

So today we start another round.  And even before these new Cadets cross the threshold of Crestmont, I ask myself the question, "Who is ready to step across the threshold next year?"  Who is ready to follow, serve and repeat after Isaiah, "Here am I, my Lord, send me."?

God bless the Heralds of Grace and the Disciples of the Cross.  Stay humble.  Thirst after righteousness.  Study to show yourself approved.  Serve The Lord with a glad heart.

No comments: