Sunday, August 18, 2013

In the mundane

"Pastoral work...is that aspect of Christianity that specializes in the ordinary." ~ Eugene Peterson

There are two words that I have been mulling over in the past two months:  longevity and humility.  To be able to stick at a task for some time takes a great amount of grit and fortitude.  Unfortunately many have been conditioned to bail out when times get tough or the tasks seem beneath them.  "I am greater for this" can sometimes be a huge stone the trips the spiritual giants amongst us.

We get antsy.  We begin to look for more greener and grander pastures instead of really keeping focused on the ground God has placed us to till and massage.  Its probably the biggest temptation an officer faces.

My current position within the Salvation Army forces me to do quite a bit of personal introspection.  I am asked for vision and direction a lot, whether it is from the Cadets, the staff, or the board.  I am the only officer on staff that gets the privilege of being reviewed 360 degrees from Crestmont Council.  My goals and vision are often taken under the microscope.  I have to be very intentional in seeking where we should be going and think out the process of how we get there.

This year the words of longevity and humility keep coming up in my thoughts when I am either still or active.  Perhaps longevity because I have started my eighth year at Crestmont (9 sessions now I will have been involved in some manner of the training.)  Humility because each day I am reminded the task I have been called to do is way over my head and I need daily grounding to get things done.

Most work in a pastoral setting is mundane.  We train individuals not to go to particular locations or even for specialized tasks.  Our curriculum is centered towards general matters, which leads often to the comment, "They didn't teach me that in training college."  To be fair, there is only so much one can soak in during a 22 month period.  I remember I must have been sick or asleep the day I was taught how to open and operate an Ice Arena.  That was missing from my training in 1980-82.  (see Kroc Center 101...non existent in the catalog in 1980)

Our task is to get these folks ready for the ordinary.  Its really how God works best.  Day in and day out.  Finding the rthymns of life in 'four four time' (see A River Runs Thru It.)

Honor the every day.  Seek to make it as long as you can and do so with a humble heart.

I know these two words may begin to get stuck in the crawl of Cadets as they will probably hear it over and over too many times this coming year.  But I am not saying the words for them.  I am saying them for me.  I am listening for the whispers of God in the mundane and focusing on the grace I can find in the ordinary.

No comments: