Sunday, August 25, 2013

More than just a hired hand

The hired hand runs away because he’s working only for the money and doesn’t really care about the sheep. (John 10:13 NLT)

I was sharing with some of our cooking staff the other day some of the jobs I used to do before I became an officer.  When I was in high school I worked for a pizza restaurant that served fancy Italian dinners besides pizza.  My job was officially dishwasher though I bused tables and did food prep.  Each night near closing time, the cooks would haul back to me a huge pot we affectionally  called "Big Bertha."

Bertha was used to cook sauce all day long.  Early in the morning the cooks would put this pot on the stove and allow the pizza sauce to percolate all day long.  When the pot came to me it was my job to get it cleaned and ready for the next day.  It always took 15 minutes or more to clean this thing.  At the bottom of the pot on average there would be a two inch thick crust of tomato sauce that would need to be scrubbed away.

It was a frustrating pot to clean but that was my job.  I stuck to it each night.  If I didn't, I would be out of a job.

I have never forgotten "Big Bertha" for she taught me many lessons that stick with me until this day.  One of the main lessons is that of being persistent.  Not turning away when things get difficult or adversity comes my way.

There is a danger in 'professional ministry' to begin to work at this work merely as a job or means to an end.  The divine call can quickly fade when all of the lights are not shining on you any more and things get dark and difficult.

I currently work with individuals who have given their lives up to God.  Full surrender.  "Here am I my Lord, send me."  Hand to the plow and no looking back.

But that doesn't mean perfection comes instantly upon them or that no doubt never enters into their minds if they did choose the right way.  That's part of the process.

I have had many "Big Bertha" pots handed to me in my three decades plus of service as a minister.  I have wanted to run away.  I have doubted if this was God "really" was calling me to.  I often didn't "feel" good or right or holy or whatever in those dark moments.

But I am not a hired hand.  I do not do this work because of job security and the chance to roam the world.  Each day I look at the covenant I made and signed with God so many years ago and am reminded that this work I am involved in is truly His work.

Through thick and thin God continues to make a way in my life.   And so when another "Big Bertha" situation comes my way, I seek for divine guidance and strength to make my way through the tasks that lie ahead.



No comments: