Wednesday, June 12, 2013

No More Words

Some brothers went to see Abba Felix, and they begged him to say a word to them. But the old man kept silence. After they had asked for a long time, he said to them, "You wish to hear a word?"  They said, "Yes, Abba." Then the old man said to them, "There are no more words nowadays. When the brothers used to consult the old men, and when they did what was said to them, God showed them how to speak. But now, since they ask without doing that which they hear, God has withdrawn the grace of the word from the old men. They do not find anything to say, since there are no longer any who carry out their words." Hearing this the brothers groaned, saying, "Pray for us, Abba."

One of the experiences I have had on my journey is when somone comes to me for advice about a matter.  Sometimes I need time to process their question and concern.  That involves prayer and contemplation.  Other times the answer comes quickly.

But one of the frustrations in giving advice is when its not heeded in the least.  I am no spring chicken and I have been around the block many times in my three plus decades of service.  That experience counts for something.

I am learning not to be hasty with my words and take time to listen.  I am also learning I am not responsible for the implentation of the advice that is sought.  I dispense.  The hearer can choose to respond or not.

Spiritual listening involves a great amount of discernment on both the advisor and the advice seeker.  Don't waste words but don't cast off advice sought.  The well of words may dry up sooner than one might expect.

No comments: