Saturday, June 15, 2013

Come to the Quiet

"As morning breaks I look to you. O God, to be my strength this day." ~ John Michael Talbot from "Come to the Quiet" 


 http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=18JydPnOxCI&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D18JydPnOxCI

One of the things I have learned so far on this journey is that God never uses one way to get our attention to draw us to Him.  For some, its noise, lights, smoke and glitz.  For others, its the quiet. Silence.  The simple.

Gary Thomas' book, "Sacred Pathways", was a read that freed me in many ways recently.  I made the connection finally that I am truly a contemplative in my expression of worship.  It doesn't make me better or weirder than anyone else.  I am energized in the silence.   I am comfortable alone and even in a crowd I am able to ponder.  I think about what I sing.  I stop on words that are troubling or inspiring.

My problem is that sometimes I think and anyalize way too much.  As I sing a '7-11' song over and over (7 words repeated 11 times - when you think about it is really liturgy by the way) I have to catch myself not becoming uber critical and actually let the words minister to my soul.

In the process I am learning that my way is not the best way for others.  Nor is their way the right way for me.  We are each uniquely and wonderfully made.  One style of worship never trumps another.  Just because I may not jump up and raise my hands doesn't make me any less spiritual than the one that enjoys that sort of expressive worship.

For me, its the quiet and I come, usually in the morning, with a cup of coffee, the open word of God, and my open heart, longing to be renewed this day.

For you, you can tell me but more importantly, whatever means and way it is, follow the longings of your heart.  Go deeper.


No comments: