Sunday, June 30, 2013

Endings & beginings

There is a tradition at our training college that the Cadets do a count down to their departure starting at the one hundred day mark.  100 days until 'freedom' from the rigours of training, homework, the schedule, rubrics, assignments and what not.  100 days until some would say they can get out into the 'real world' and begin 'real ministry.'

For the seventh year now as a CFOT staff member I have witnessed another session of cadets pass the 100 day mark, sign their covenants, walk across the stage to get their appointments and move on down the road to their new ministry opportunities.   Its truly an exciting thing to watch.  A transformation occurs in the teachable spirit (we do get a few 'know it all's" but they do learn a thing or two while here) after spending twenty two months in community.

On this Sunday I am thinking of these new officers as they experience their last 'free' Sunday until the burden of leadership truly begins to reside on their shoulders.  Its the moment when what was sureal becomes real.  The countdowns are over.  The anticipatation is passing.  The adjustments to life outside the community of sessionmates begins.  Reality begins.

A scripture that I often reflect on from the psalms in the context of my own ministry and passing life: "Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom."  Psalm 90:12

There are a set of numbers I have been dwelling on lately:  32, 8, 12.   This week I start my 32nd year as an officer in the Salvation Army.  I also start my 8th year in my appointment at CFOT.  And I have 12 years of active service as an officer left.

In these numbers my prayer is that I will truly gain 'a heart of widsom', that my life will reflect 'the so what' of ministry.  Countdowns and numbers in general can be elusaive, another way to waste time or they can be helpful for us to focus on the now.

My young officer friends have many years of work ahead of them.  May each one of them be found 'faithful in the day that tries by fire.'   CFOT life is over for them but a new begining awaits.  I pray that Psalm 90:12 will become a breathing reality for them and for me as we walk down this road of service for God together.

Blessings to the Proclaimers of the Resurrection session.  Go forward!

No comments: