Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Thundering Down

Its been difficult the last several days to figure out when its actually morning or afternoon.  The absence of the sun, the low cloud overhang, and the drizzle, has made it interesting to decipher.  It always leads to one of my favorite lines to use:  "Its nice we're having weather."  And really mean it.

This morning we had a rare thunderstorm pass through that woke me up.  Actually the storm was pretty active most of the morning with numerous lightening flashes and booming thunder taking place over the ocean.  We lost power twice in the administration building this morning alone.

My daughter Victoria seems to share my excitement about the weather.  She was giddy with delight when she read the email that came from the soccer coach informing me that practice was canceled today.  Victoria hurriedly got herself dressed and ready for school so she could watch Mother Nature's light show.  While I was working out in the garage, she found a folding chair and sat down for the event.  She was asking me question after question about weather, rain, roofs, birds and a host of other things. The rain poured down and she was looking for an excuse to just stand out in it.

It reminded me of when I was little how I would look forward to rainy days at school.  I would get to wear my big black rubber boots with the buckles.  My yellow rain jacket.  I would jump in every puddle I saw.  We got to play games inside the classroom.  Who doesn't remember 'Heads up Seven up.'?  Joanne would touch my thumb as I would peek through my closed eyes and my heart would melt.

Weather has always interested me.  I am a quasi unprofessional meterologist.  I know my cut off lows from of shore breezes.  I know my mirco climates from the dew point.  I even got to do the weather on live TV in San Diego one Saturday morning during the early days of our Kroc Center promotions.  I got to point out the weather of heaven:  77 and sunny.

Weather happens to all of us.  None of us can control it.  There is a lot of debate and discussion these days about global warming and green house gasses.  Holes in O zones and the warming of the planet.  I am not sure where I stand on all of that, call it the Charlie Brown in me.  As a theologian I am aware of the covenant that God made with Noah.  He said that never again would he cover the earth in its entirety with water.  He also promised that the seasons would come and go as scheduled. Not sure if the scientists have read that nor would they believe it?

Jesus said the rain falls on the just as well as the unjust.  Bad things happen to good people.  My bad thoughts one day don't lead to a tumor falling on me the next. 

I do know this God I serve is greater than this creation, greater than any of my self made woes and greater than any burden that may keep thundering down on my soul.

Thanks be to God for His daily amazing grace.


*this was a day late due to power issues at my office.  And a lightening bolt actually hit the ground about 10 feet from my home with my daughter as witness.  Truly a fun day!

No comments: