Monday, November 29, 2010

Waiting

I am attempting to be more focused on a personal advent this Christmas season.  As I was shuffling through the boxes of countless Christmas decorations it seems we have, I really thought to myself that this was the year not to be a grump about all of this. I need to direct my thoughts back to the manager, which seems, to be a fading memory in society as a whole.  I need to keep it alive in my heart, not my grumpiness about the work, stress and drama surrounding this season.

This season is driven now more than ever by the merchants who do a whole array of things to create this 'need' for more 'things' in our lives.  So I was thinking what is it I need the most this year.  I have lost count of how many TV's I have, how many different versions of listening to music I have had over the years (reel to reel, 8 track tape players, vinyl album players, Sony Walkman,  portable CD devices, Ipod - only 30 gigs of space, etc)

Really now, do we really, really need more stuff? Really? I guess the economic rebound is all weighed in the balance whether or not you and I purchase more things we don't really need and probably do more damage to us in the long run. Black Friday (though more and more stores are actually hoping you will put down your turkey dinner and show up on their doorsteps on Thanksgiving Day.) to endless email promotions telling me its "Cyber Monday" so get busy buying buddy.

I told Cindy a few weeks ago don't get me anything Christmas.  I have need of nothing.  It works after 25 years of marriage.  If I want something I go get it.  The kids can get me the basics like socks to hats to whatever to practice the art of giving.

What I am giving myself this Christmas is the gift of waiting.  "Actively waiting means to be present fully to the moment, in the conviction that something is happening where you are and that you want to be present to it.  A waiting person is someone who is present to the moment, who believes that this moment is the moment."
 Henri Nouwen

I desire to be a person who waits patiently for what God has in store for me.  To be alert and not numbed into some state of semi conscious missing most of my life as it passes. Paying attention.  Not waiting for an empty wish or not to control my future.  Gaining a sense of real hope as I wait on God.  To focus on the essentials of the season and not get swayed by a twinkling light or stray sale of something I really don't need.

Its a waiting game I am willing to give a go round this season.

Come Lord Jesus, come.

No comments: