Saturday, May 14, 2016

Dignity

Cindy and I recently attended a civic event in which the word dignity seemed to float right in front of my eyes. Dignity defined simply means this idea of being worthy of honor or respect.

Many times the thought is that honor and respect has to come immediately into being just because one is in a certain position, has a certain title or dwells in a certain social stratosphere in the world.

Someone once told me it takes a life time to earn respect but only takes a nano second to lose it.  

My title or position really mean nothing in the bigger picture of eternity if I am not willing to show respect, care and dignity for all of God's creatures that I encounter each day.  From the person literally laying in the gutter outside of my office, to the person who flaunts a coarse means of lifestyle and mocks my faith, to the individual who is too busy to notice life while living it.

All creatures great and small have their origin from the Creator whether they acknowledge it or not.  My job is not to play judge and jury but to handle each person I meet with care and prayer.  There is value in showing dignity towards others.  The pay back is that you get that same sense of respect in return.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Whenever I read this one, I am touched and encouraged: "All creatures great and small have their origin from the Creator whether they acknowledge it or not. My job is .... to handle each person I meet with care and prayer...." It reminds me to pay special love and care for the overlooked, marginalized, and the needed in my Corps, in my community.