Better to keep your mouth closed...
As I am memorizing lines for the Dad character I play in "Leaving Iowa", one of my favorite lines is this: "Hannibal is home to one of our greatest literary hero's - Mark Twain."
Now Dad has a lot more funny, memorable and catchy lines than that, but in context of the background of this character, he has got me thinking more about Mark Twain. I ran across a quote of his that got me really thinking about our current days:"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." Mark Twain
Now I admit I have said my fair share of stupid things in life but I am seeing and hearing more of erratic, hate filled, vitorial comments from people, well, it just surprises me. Lots of this stuff pops up on my social media feeds that I didn't ask for. I guess my algorithm says I like to listen to fools. Most of this content is from people I don't know but it really becomes a mental quagmire when it comes from people I know and even love.
Here is a few things about me you may not know:
I never read Yelp reviews any more (9 times out of ten its going to be negative). I don't care if you had a bad experience or your food was cold. Let me find out on my own.
Someone that goes on a political rant usually gets a 30 day unfollow. If it doesn't stop its gets an unfriend or a block.
I am not interested in your surgery pictures. I am glad you made it thru, honeslty I am, Sorry, but open wounds healing - save that for the medical journals.
Endless sports team debates. I get it. You won and are proud and loud. You lost and are silent and absent.
What I am attracted to today is kindness. People who are appreciating life. We always have things that divide us. Two things that I have seen divide people in my time on earth and in my study of history is politics and religion. As a credentialed theologian, I am constantly reminded of the words of the Preacher: "there is nothing new under the sun."
In the beginning stages of my retired life I have decided to live my best life the way I want to live it. I don't want to live in the seat of judgement or the sphere of negativity. That might be naive in some peoples way of thinking, but, so what? I will keep my opinions to myself and if asked, I would carefully think out what I should say. I will keep Mark Twain's advice close to my heart.
When you are faced with the fact you have crossed the apex in life where you begin to see less sunsets, perspective changes. What's important comes into view. Arguing political points, who is the greatest quarterback every, and gloom and doom predications, don't bother me with that. I quickly move on.
I would rather be naming the birds who take sancturary in my backyard; talking to my squirrel couple - Larry & Lori - and reminding my friends and family that I love them. While I still have breath.
What I am attracted to today is kindness. People who are appreciating life. We always have things that divide us. Two things that I have seen divide people in my time on earth and in my study of history is politics and religion. As a credentialed theologian, I am constantly reminded of the words of the Preacher: "there is nothing new under the sun."
In the beginning stages of my retired life I have decided to live my best life the way I want to live it. I don't want to live in the seat of judgement or the sphere of negativity. That might be naive in some peoples way of thinking, but, so what? I will keep my opinions to myself and if asked, I would carefully think out what I should say. I will keep Mark Twain's advice close to my heart.
When you are faced with the fact you have crossed the apex in life where you begin to see less sunsets, perspective changes. What's important comes into view. Arguing political points, who is the greatest quarterback every, and gloom and doom predications, don't bother me with that. I quickly move on.
I would rather be naming the birds who take sancturary in my backyard; talking to my squirrel couple - Larry & Lori - and reminding my friends and family that I love them. While I still have breath.
As someone once said: "If you don't have something nice to say, then don't say it."
Keeping my mouth shut and my fingers off the key board is truly in my best interest, and the interest of others.
Tim Foley
Tim Foley
September 11, 2026
No comments:
Post a Comment